Friday, January 18, 2013

A Magazine Cover

I recently got to design a magazine cover for the Associated General Contractors of Utah. Every year they publish a magazine and this year I not only got to design the cover, but I and another designer got to layout the entire 52 page magazine. Our copywriters wrote the articles, and I placed the articles, images, and ads in the magazine. I was pretty happy with the way the cover turned out. This is my first magazine that I have worked on.


We printed 2500 copies of the magazine on Wednesday and Thursday on this press below. This is offset printing. I spent 2 days at Printer's Inc in Salt Lake doing a press check. The printer would make the plates to print on a large sheet of 70 lb. paper (that has 4 8.5"x11" pages on it), run it through the 4 color press (CMYK), and then have me come double check the colors to make sure they were correct and the registration was lined up correctly. This would happen about every hour and a half. So I set up my laptop in their conference room and worked there while I waited in between press checks. Printing is very interesting to me. I love the smell of the inks and I love seeing the huge sheets of paper and the presses.

No comments:

Post a Comment