In my Graphic Design History & Theory class this semester we have been learning about/studying the different modern art movements and then we design and create a project in the same style.
The first project I did was in the style of early 20th century advertising. I looked at many historical pieces that are similar in style: lots of typefaces which consisted of slab serif, and sans serif faces of varying weights. They also justified the alignment of their type and there were no photos used. Occasionally they would add an illustration to the advertisement. Many of the ads were extremely narrow and long.
I made my poster for the NRHA Futurity horse show. I added a lot of details, but still tried to create hierarchy. I used many different typefaces and weights to make the piece more interesting and dynamic.
Our second project was to create a whole music packaging. We had to make a poster, a CD jewel case back and front cover, and a CD label. We had just learned about Constructivism, Futurism, and the Dada movement so we had to use that design style in every piece of the music packaging.
I chose to look at the Dada movement as my inspiration. The Dadaists were a group of artists that responded to the horror and absurdity of WWI. It was an anti-war, anti-art movement. They used collage, and photo-montage in their pieces and also a lot of random type. All different typefaces of varying weights and point sizes. Pretty much it was just a mix of random elements on a page. Even though their designs seem random, the Dadaist's designs still had meaning and were still clearly designed.
I showed this to Preston and asked him out it made him feel and he said "crazy." I agree. This certainly isn't my style of design, but it was interesting to try and push myself to do something different and chaotic.


No comments:
Post a Comment