So lately I have been trying to get a few things in our food storage so that we might last a week or so if the earthquake hits. We currently have 2 food storage starter kits that the church produces, a fair amount of water, cans of food, and a few other items.
Recently I decided to try an Augason's Farms product, Morning Moo's Low Fat Milk Alternative. Can we please put more emphasis on the word ALTERNATIVE?? Pretty much the only similarity between Morning Moo's Low Fat Milk Alternative and the milk you and I know and love so well, is the fact that it is white. But we're not buying the product to just look at it are we? No, we bought it to consume it.
Now, my mother has made me try quite a few odd foods in my life and I feel like I can be pretty tolerant to most not-so-good-tasting foods, but Morning Moo's Low Fat Milk Alternative was an exception. Oh my was it gross. Pretty sure I will never consume this ever again, even if I am starving and it is the only thing separating me from death. No thank you. I will take death.
Yucky icky ka ka. Me no likey. Preston no likey.
Luckily it was only 16 oz that I bought. Folks, if you happen to have this in your pantry or basement waiting for the next natural disaster to hit, I would suggest tossing it now. Don't let it rob you of your space because that is exactly what it is doing. And the one thing I really do not understand is the fact that it is low fat. Low fat? Why? I thought we're supposed to keep this in our food storage and eat it when we are STARVING to death. So in other words, we would want the fat. I rate this product a 0 from a scale of 0-10.

I agree! You learned a good lesson...always try food storage items before purchasing large amounts...most food storage items are gross! Including Mountain House lasagna, etc. I've found very few that taste good. You might be able to hide the taste if you put it in some homemade bread. I don't like the ingredient list on a lot of them either...too many chemical preservatives. Personally, Daddy and I are saving cardboard boxes to eat during an emergency (with a little ketchup, you can't tell the difference between them and some freeze dried storage items...and they are cheaper!)
ReplyDeleteOh dear, I'm so sorry. Good for you for starting on your food storage though!
ReplyDeleteLisa,
ReplyDeleteThank you for reviewing Morning Moos; I was considering buying it for my food supply. Anybody have any other suggestions for powdered milk?
Christie