I am struck by the remarkable timing of a couple of incidents that occurred today. The first one happened in my drawing class this morning. My teacher, a very quirky guy that kind of lives in his own little drawing world was in the center of the classroom with all of us students surrounding him in a circle. We were all sitting on our little drawing benches with drawing materials in hand as we all listened to & watched the new technique he was demonstrating. He was demonstrating how compressed charcoal magically goes much much darker when you apply water to it. He really built up to this moment by telling us how miraculous this technique was. We were anticipating something special when the moment finally arrived. A hush fell over the classroom moments before he brushed the water droplets onto the paper that was covered with charcoal. Well, needless to say he was much more excited about the whole process than probably all of the classes excitement combined. When the moment finally arrived, at that exact moment when his brush slithered across the paper, someone's cell phone in the class received a text message and a heavenly chime was heard. It truly was a miracle that we had just witnessed. The whole class burst out laughing. I don't think the teacher heard it because I think he thought we all were laughing at his humorous comments. Timing = impeccable.
The second occurrence happened in my very next class, 3D design. Today was the last day of class in 3D design. We all had set up our final project in a portion of the art building. The sculptures we had created were made up of toys and they all had to be at least 3 ft wide or tall. So you can imagine, there wasn't much space to move around all these creations. During the crit we finished critiquing one piece and started to move to another one. I was walking past a couple of other sculptures when someone behind me randomly said, "Oh snap," and then only millisecond later, I ran into the very tip of a plastic toy creation and what did I do? I snapped off the very end piece. Timing = impeccable. (ps I apologized profusely to the artist and even told the professor that it was my fault it was broken.)
Here's my toy creation. Not my favorite sculpture, but it was still fun to do. I just hope the toys don't come alive and come back to haunt me. Sorry for the strange angle.
Speaking of time.. Only 5 more days and I am a free woman. (Meaning Fall semester will be OVER!) Hallelujah. Oh and only 4 or 5 days till Preston comes home! I'm just going crazy without him. It will be over 2 weeks since he left for Oklahoma for the NRHA Futurity. He's having a fun time out there though and learning a lot.
No comments:
Post a Comment