For Labor Day this year we (ok actually just I), decided that we would go on an adventure to the Spiral Jetty. Now I know you are all asking, what the heck is the Spiral Jetty?!?!? The Spiral Jetty is located on the North end of the Great Salt Lake. It was designed and created by an artist named Robert Smithson in 1970. To learn more about the Spiral Jetty, click here.
Last night (Sunday) we drove up to Malad for a Labor Day family BBQ. We decided to spend the night so we could drive straight to the Spiral Jetty from Malad since the Jetty is North West of Ogden.
The driving directions to this are pretty sketchy and I didn't read it too closely. It says that you will be on a dirt road for a few miles here and there but I must have missed the part where it says we would be on the dirt road for 16 MILES. That doesn't seem like too long of a distance but when your average speed is about 25 MPH and it is incredibly uneven ground, it takes a long time to get out there. The directions say that a high clearance or four-wheel drive vehicle is highly recommended. I pretty much ignored that fact and thought, our Pontiac can make it! And if the road gets too rough, we'll get out and walk it. No big deal. (This picture below is a flat part of the dirt road)
We crossed 6 cattle guards on our way out there and as if our journey wasn't long enough, we accidentally took a wrong turn which really made us loose time. The unpaved road got more and more treacherous as we went along. By the time we were getting close to the Jetty, we passed a truck that was high centered on a rock, and another car that had punctured its oil pan and was not functioning. Both parties were waiting to be rescued.
Preston really wasn't excited in the beginning for this adventure, but as we passed by more and more boulders and dips in the road, he liked the Jetty less and less. You see, I didn't read him the part in the directions that said:
"At this gate the Class D (gravel) road designation ends. From here, four-wheel drive, high clearance vehicles are highly recommended... If you choose to continue... Travel slowly--the road is narrow, brush might scratch your vehicle, and the rocks, if not properly negotiated, could high center your vehicle or blow out your tires. Don't hesitate to park and walk."
...Until after we parked, saw the Jetty, and were on our way back home. As I read it to him he told me I was going to have a time-out when we got home. :) hehe I'm so sneaky. I figured if the road got too bad, we could get out and walk.
The water level was really low so it wasn't as cool as I was expecting. The landscape was beautiful though. Man, there is salt EVERYWHERE out there. The weather was perfect, not too hot. It wasn't stinky and there were no bugs like I was expecting. The landscape was desolate and it was sure quiet out there in the middle of no where. The Jetty was viewed the best from the hill that is by it (or in an aerial picture found on Google.com). Walking around it wasn't that thrilling, but here I am in the middle of it!
Oh and in case you were wondering, yes I am wearing Preston's shirt. I forgot to bring another shirt to Malad with me so I had to wear one of his. Here we are in front of the Jetty. It is pretty big, that's for sure.
Here is Preston, thrilled as can be. Boy did he love this trip. I'm sure he wants to visit it every weekend from now on. (I hope you could sense the sarcasm there).
Poor Preston. As we were walking out on the salt, he happened to sink into the mud below. He kind of freaked out as he sank down, and I just couldn't help but laugh my guts out. He thought it was painfully unfair that it happened to him and not to me because my attitude could have dealt with the circumstance much better than he. Aww poor Prest.
So if you're ever in the adventurous mood, and you're 30 miles West of Brigham City, we know of just the destination to fix your craving for excitement, The Spiral Jetty.


Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...we loved the pictures and the running commentary. Daddy and I can hardly wait to go there ourselves! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.....
ReplyDeletePreston, thanks for suffering through that for us so we don't have to. Lisa, I think it's great that you are always looking for new experiences. You two are both so cute.
ReplyDeleteTasha
Very cool! I think your next outing should be seeing the "Tree of Utah" sculpture.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.utah.com/amusement/metaphor_tree.htm
he he he.
I like this description of visiting the tree sculpture: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2230
ReplyDeleteIt would be fun to see pictures of you trying to climb over a barbed wire fence to stand by the tree. Maybe Preston can boost you over.