Sunday, August 15, 2010

Anniversary, Zoo, Clearasil, & Explosions

On August 13, 2010 Preston and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary. Boy do I sure love Preston. He is the greatest blessing in my life. We celebrated by going out to our favorite restaurant, Texas Roadhouse. I got the prime rib and it was delicious! Then we came home and watched a movie. The next morning we got to sleep in and then we ate some yummy raspberry pull-aparts that Preston got from Deseret Book. Preston got me a John Bytheway CD that was about marriage, and a Sheri Dew CD. What a good husband. My favorite thing that he got me was a book called "Get Smarter" lol. I guess I know what I will be working on for the next year. Thanks Preston for being so subtle.



I actually do think that this was a very thoughtful gift and one that I will enjoy very much, I just got a kick out of the title. After breakfast we got ready and headed to the zoo! Enjoy these pictures that I took with my recently purchased camera, a Nikon D40, and lens.

Colobus Monkeys


They look like skunks. It's interesting how the white hair is longer than the black.


An ostrich. Seeing these always reminds me of the time they attacked Christian at Thanksgiving point. Must have been the height.


An owl. I love it's eyes.


This picture is for mom. I'll never forget how mom can speak peacock.

Penguins! They were molting so they didn't look very sleek.


Rhinos. Wow they are big.


A snoozing leopard.


A sloth.


A Spoonbill Crane. I love the name, how fitting.


A Hahn. When we spotted this little guy there just happened to be a family that spoke German right in front of us. Preston was listening to them and it made me smile when they saw the rooster, pointed, and said "a Hahn!"


This is Zuri, the baby elephant. The zoo was celebrating Zuri's 1st birthday the day we visited the zoo, how lucky is that??


I must say, she was quite a star and put on a good show for all her fans.


This is Zuri's mother.




Here's Preston, being cute as can be.


A giraffe! Giraffes and elephants are my two favorite animals to see at the zoo.


Again with the cuteness. Holy cow zoo food is EXPENSIVE. Next time we go, we'll bring food in.


At least the sandwich I got tasted good. Preston and I sure had a wonderful day at the zoo!



After the zoo we met Nathan and Nicole in Ogden (they were in Utah because of a wedding) to do a little bowling and mini golf. We went to Fat Cats in Ogden and had a lovely time together. We enjoyed some nachos and cheese fries while we bowled and then had some good laughs while we did glow in the dark golfing. Oh and by the way, I got the highest score!

After that Nathan and Nicole came over to our apartment for a slumber party. We watched a movie and ate a giant thing of popcorn that we bought from a movie theater on our way home. It was fun to be together.

We all had a good laugh later that night when Nathan asked Preston if he could borrow some toothpaste. Preston told Nathan that it was located in his black bag in the bathroom. Nathan went into the bathroom and emerged moments later with a tooth brush in his mouth and a grimace on his face. "This toothpaste is disgusting," he said. I then apologized for buying the cheap pack of 3 for $5 from Wal-Mart and he walked back to the bathroom. A few minutes later Nathan walked out of the bathroom and said, "It was Clearasil I used instead of toothpaste." We all thought he was joking at first but he was serious. He said it was in a small tube in Preston's black bag. We laughed so hard. Good thing he's got acne and oil protection in his mouth now. The next morning Nathan said his teeth never felt cleaner. Maybe we'll all Clearasil before bed from now on.


Sunday proved to be even more exciting than Saturday night. We all got up and had breakfast that consisted of waffles and bacon and then headed off to church. Nathan and Nicole even went with us to our primary class. I told the kids we had to bring in reinforcements because of their behavior. Too bad we only had the most well-behaved children there. Preston taught a wonderful lesson on David and King Solomon.

When we got home I decided to bake a Stouffer's Lasagna with some side dishes for dinner. I also started to thaw some frozen cinnamon rolls that we could enjoy for dessert. Sounds like a good idea, right? I quickly went to work creating the culinary masterpiece pictured in my mind. Now you have to understand, when I get in the kitchen, sparks fly. It seems like disasters happen every time I try to cook. I have burned more things in the toaster oven than I can count, I have started a fire on the burner, I have cut myself numerous times with knifes to the point that blood is gushing everywhere, and I have dropped a thing a flax seeds ALL over my kitchen floor. Yikes. Everything was going peachy with this particular meal until the last 10 minutes of the Lasagna's cooking time. I had the cinnamon rolls sitting on a back burner while they rose (not a good idea) and I had just set down two pots to heat up some canned corn and green beans. I turned both burners on high and turned away to make some garlic toast. When I turned back around I noticed I had turned the wrong burner on high and to my dismay, it was the burner that the cinnamon rolls were sitting on. The burner was red hot so I hurried and moved it to a cold burner. The saran wrap that was on the top of the rolls was clouded with smoke and as I lifted it up, a puff of smoke came out. The cinnamon rolls were quite burnt on the bottom. Oh well, I thought, they might taste a little smokey but we'll still bake them! I was determined. So I turned around again to make some juice. Nicole and I both were in the kitchen with our backs to the stove when suddenly we heard an explosion. BANG! We whirled around to see that the pan with the cinnamon rolls in it had EXPLODED. I mean blasted to SMITHEREENS. Holy freaking moley that was the craziest sound I had ever heard. Preston and Nathan came over and kept saying "What happened??? What was that sound?? I was speechless as I watched my gooey rolls sink into the glass shards. Glass had gone everywhere. Thank goodness I wasn't holding the dern thing when it decided to blow. I then told Preston it was time to hire a professional chef. At least the main course (the lasagna) was protected from any glass shards because it was still in the oven. The dinner turned out all right, but no dessert for us.

We had a lovely time with Nathan and Nicole and look forward to our next time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment